Halloween is right about the corner and you're probably only reading this if you swore this is the year you'd FINALLY stop dressing up, but then you received a work email out about a costume contest where the winner gets a $25 Jamba Juice gift card, and now your college friend is suddenly throwing a last minute bring your own beer, snacks, wine, liquor, dessert, toilet paper, hand soap, and water Halloween extravaganza where NO ONE can enter without a costume party so you have to dress up this year.
So, on that note, I give you my list of couples costumes that might win you a gift card.
1. Michael Jackson and Lisa Marie: SUCH a classic people. This can easily be achieved with the right toy soldier jacket and set of pin curls. What will really sell this costume is if you walk around the party making out in the middle of large crowds for a few seconds, and just as everyone starts applauding you, stop and smile bashfully (re: MTV VMAs 1994 for inspo).
2. Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake in matching denim ensembles: this look can be achieved by taking all your old Abercrombie & Fitch jeans that you've been saving since high school in hopes that super low rise bell bottoms will come back in style, and sewing them all together in a misshapen mess. Top it off with some of Claire's Accessories' finest rhinestone jewelry from the prom/quinceanera department and call yourselves an early 2000s pop sensation!
3. Johnny and Baby in Dirty Dancing: oh, yes. There are so many Dirty Dancing looks to steal from this movie, so whatever you choose, just make sure every 20 minutes you run and jump into your date's arms as he lifts you above his shoulders like you're a little feather.
4. Danny and Sandy in Grease: pretty sure everyone at some point has wanted an excuse to pour themselves into this black on black getup Olivia Newton-John wore in Grease. What are you waiting for? Now's your chance! Halloween is as good of an excuse to wear this as shopping in a Topshop on a Saturday afternoon.
6. Uncle Jesse and Aunt Becky of Full House: a plaid shirt or plain white tee and a vest has Uncle Jesse in the bag, and some high wasted jeans and a turtleneck will turn you into Aunt Becky in no time. Caveat: this costume is easily mistaken for American Apparel employees, so just make sure you're shouting "have mercy" every few minutes.
7. Ross and Rachel of Friends: this is a no-brainer. Just dig through all those clothes you saved from your Delias/Limited Too/Anchor Blue days, give yourself a good blow out, and throw an oversized sweater and light wash jeans on your guy. Bonus points if you draw whiskers on yourself and go as Ross and Rachel in Vegas.