1. Always, ALWAYS, have K-Ci & JoJo’s “Crazy” on hand. You never know when you're going to need to sexify breakfast up a little.
2. Please note that every once and a while, a girl loves to be tossed back and kissed like you're in freakin’ Gone with the Wind.
3. Be thoughtful, which also means pay attention. If she likes to read those romance novels with Fabio on the cover, don’t dress up as Fabio, or do if you two are into that sort of thing, just surprise her with something she likes once and a while (ie:” I saw this book today and I thought you’d like it” or “I recorded your favorite TV show since I know you worked late.”) I didn’t say you had to get her a Rolex.
4. Sensitivity goes a long way. Women don’t have the emotional strength of you men which means we need to cry out our emotions and sometimes be a blubbery mess. So when she's depressed/anxious/hurt/mad or all those things at once (ek, caution!), be sensitive to her needs, listen to her, be there for her, etc. etc. etc.
5. Flowers. Honestly, it's not cliché and they're really nice. Even the cheekiest of non-girly girls love flowers and don't believe the girl you're dating when she says "oh I don't need no flowers from any man" with an eye roll and two hair tosses. SHE'S LYING. Even if you pick it from a bush outside her house, that’s one more daffodil than she had before!
6. Surprise her: you don’t always have to stick to plans or do nice things on anniversaries, holiday’s or birthdays. It could be just because it’s Monday and you love her. Just sayin’.
7. Play with her hair. It sounds dumb but I'm serious. I don't mean braid it or put it in pigtails, just play with it in your fingers, okay? It’s sweet.
8. DON'T write her a poem, Google translate it into French and attempt reading it to her. She won't know what you're saying because your French sounds like a Jamaican accent with a lisp; however, DO tell her how you feel and use words like “amazing, best, beautiful,” instead of “#1, cool or hot.” The only exception is if you use all six of those words together. NOT.
9. This guy below:
9. This guy below:
10. If you have an accent like Pedro and speak Spanish fluently, never speak English again.
Tweet me @BlogwithBenefit
One more thing! Check out my friend Phil Brody’s new book The Holden Age of Hollywood! His debut novel exposes the underappreciated business of screenwriting while unfolding a snarky and witty look at Hollywood. It's a great read and for anyone who enjoys cynical writing, he's your guy!